Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Resolve to evolve?

This past few weeks I have mostly been distracted from writing by the chaos that is the Christmas holidays. Wonderful though this has been I find myself, like many, desperate to get back to some sort of normal. 'Normal'? I wonder! Only a couple of days ago, in the 'chrimbo-limbo' (as Sarah Cox referred to it on Radio 2), the journey through the no-mans-land from Christmas Day to New Year's Eve 'normal' was not the intention. The after glow of Santa's visit, generous quantities of cheese and chocolate, and liberal helpings of Port (other alcoholic beverages were available ... and consumed *ahem*) I was imagining 2013 as anything but normal. 


I imagined 2013 as a place in which personal failings were resolved into a fresh new me! A place of less calorie consumption, more exercise and less, FAR less procrastination. Alcohol infused enthusiasm had me believing in a world where I could be positively charged to succeed. Now? Now I'm caressing memories of time well spent with people I love and remembering that fat is a lot easier to add on than take off.


"Nature gives to every time and season some beauties of its own; and from morning to night, as from the cradle to the grave, it is but a succession of changes so gentle and easy that we can scarcely mark their progress." Charles Dickens

'Normal' 16 going on 17! 


Normal? It's a myth isn't it? This was never more obvious to me than when I had my first, and only, child. One of the clearest memories I have of the desperately difficult first few months of motherhood is of my own mum trying to reassure me that things would, in time, 'get back to normal'. 'Normal?' Reader, I screeched. 'There is NO normal. THIS is as NORMAL as it gets from here on in.' 


I am probably just about sober enough now to realise that what I am hankering for is the gentle 'succession of changes' that move me from where I am to where I want to be with enough space to reflect on the past and embrace the present.


Reflecting on the past, I am pleased to have made the 'grand' decision to embark on a part time MA in creative writing before the chaos of the holidays took over. I embraced all the Christmas chaos had to offer by carefully placing my WIP to one side for the duration. I am happy that today marks the first day of the rest of my writerly life as I redraft part of the WIP into my 5000 word submission to accompany my application for the MA.
It's life 'Jim' but never quite as we think we know it. 


"LIFE: Love, Intelligence, Fun, Evolution in that order." -Vanna Bonta


Happy 2013 days to you and yours, in whatever form that might take. 



8 comments:

  1. Happy New year and good luck with your MA application! My laptop has just come out of the drawer after the Christmas and New Year shenanigans. Back to it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year Rebecca, may it be kind to us all!!
    It's kind of hard but strangely reassuring to get going again isn't it! I'm really glad I made my 'big' decision before the holidays, it has given me a structure to getting back to it ... And back to it we must!!!
    Best of luck with your own goals for 2013 xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I see why you're cringing at glass recycling day!! Good luck with the submission. I should do something like that. I need a new normal to start this year with but I fear it'll just be more of the same. Happy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year - you are one of the mad, delightful friends I have met since joining Twitter in August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha!!! I think there are quite a few of us around Carol xx

      Delete
  5. Thanks Rosalind!
    I'm really excited ... And terrified!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a positive step forward! Good luck with your MA application.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Positive and possibly slightly crazy!
    Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete